Chronological or environmental skin aging. Deeper lines and wrinkles around the eyes and forehead, tiny wrinkles around the mouth and lips, hyperpigmentation (age spots, sun damage), thinning skin with reduced elasticity/firmness.
As we age, skin cells go dormant and cellular generation slows; what used to take 30 days now takes considerably longer. Old, dull, damaged skin cells remain on the surface of the skin. To accelerate cellular turnover, Ossential® Radical Night Repair Plus features a potent concentration of retinol. After it has penetrated our skin, retinol reacts with natural enzymes to convert to trans-retinoic acid, which is a usable form of Vitamin A. Skin can then generate new cells and produce more collagen. This activity makes older cells rise to the surface and exfoliate. As new skin cells emerge, skin appears younger, healthier, more even-toned and radiant.
Because of the high concentration of active ingredients, people who have the following conditions are not suitable candidates:
• Sensitive skin that is easily irritated
• Pregnant or lactating
• Concurrent use of prescription acne medication
• Daily use of a retinoid
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- 1.0% concentration of retinol — Ossential® Radical Night Repair Plus features the highest concentration of retinol in an over-the-counter product (6X-10X higher than traditional retinol products). Retinol causes new collagen to be formed in chronologically-aged skin and skin damaged by UV rays. It is the most effective topical anti-aging ingredient, because it assists in the process of repairing and rebuilding collagen. Given the high concentration of retinol, Ossential® Radical Night Repair Plus works faster, and more effectively, than any other anti-aging product.
- Products that have a low concentration of retinol—e.g, .10% to .15%, produce less retinol cascade (the process by which special enzymes convert the retinol to the active metabolite, retinoic acid). When this conversion rate is low, very little retinoic acid becomes bio-available to the cells. A high concentration of retinol (such as with 1.0%) increases the conversion rate of retinol-to-retinoic acid. The higher the concentration of retinol, therefore, the greater the conversion to retinoic acid, and the better the result.
Scientists agree that an even higher concentration (for ex., 2% or 3% or 4%) would be even more effective, however the product would be extremely and unacceptably irritating. 1% is the ideal "cap rate"—the greatest concentration of retinol, with little to no irritation.
- Time-Released Microspheres. Traditional retinol products cause a sudden release and "downpour" of retinol—which can be irritating. That’s why manufacturers use a very low concentration of retinol. ZO® Skin Health’s Radical Night Repair Plus uses a unique delivery system–the retinol is encapsulated in a time-released microsphere. So unlike the "downpour", micro-spheres causes a slow, steady, continuous “drizzle”.
- Anhydrous (water-free) formula increases the potency of active ingredients.
- Skinasensyl®, a peptide that increases skin’s natural tolerance threshold. Users are much less likely to experience any discomfort, which is especially beneficial to over-reactive and sensitive skin.
HOW TO USE
CONTAINS 1% RETINOL
Due to the concentration of retinol (at least 6X the industry norm), this is a very potent product. Initially some dryness, irritation and peeling are normal. These symptoms typically develop 3-7 days following the first application and indicate skin cells are awakening, and damaged skin is being repaired.
If you are not currently using retinol, begin gradually. Following cleansing, apply 1-2 pumps twice a week in the evening, 30 minutes before retiring. Increase frequency to alternate nights—and then every night—as tolerated.
For best results, use as part of a ZO® Skin Health regimen.
The Agressive Anti-Aging Treatment Program is recommended for:
• Reducing deeper lines and wrinkles
• Maintaining the results achieved with lasers or medical treatments
• Restoring skin elasticity
• Lightening hyperpigmentation and “age spots”
• Creating more even skin tone
ZO® Aggressive Anti-Aging Treatment Program (PDF)
Can I use Retinol if I have sensitive skin?
People aren’t born with sensitive skin—it’s usually an acquired condition. One of the most common causes of skin sensitivity is the overuse of moisturizers that weaken your skin. So the solution is not to use more products that are weak and watered down, but to strengthen your skin with ingredients that activate and stimulate the skin cells. The best ingredient for that is active Vitamin A—for example, retinol or retinoic acid.
ZO Skin Health’s Radical Night Repair Plus contains 1% retinol, a natural form of Vitamin A, to stimulate the retinoid-receptor found on every cell and take the skin to a new healthier state. This is important in the treatment of sensitive skin. If you have sensitive skin, begin slowly (1 night/week) and then apply more frequently as your skin becomes more tolerant.
My face is peeling. Should I stop using the product?
Peeling is proof that old dead skin cells on the surface are being removed. Through this exfoliating process, newer, younger, healthier skin cells will emerge. The peeling will last only about two weeks, and when it does stop, you should increase the frequency of application of Radical Night Repair Plus.
When should I start using the product on a nightly basis?
As soon as your skin can tolerate it. That varies by individual, but generally, by the third week, you can apply it on alternate nights, and after 6-8 weeks, apply nightly.
I have a big event, and don’t want my skin to be peeling. What should I do?
Exfoliate your skin with ZO® Skin Health Offects® Exfoliating Polish right before the event. If you are experiencing any redness, stop using the product three days before the event, and then resume afterward.
My skin is very sensitive and feels irritated. What can I put on it?
Apply a 1% hydrocortisone cream. If the irritation persists for more than a week, see a dermatologist.
Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Methyl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Mannitol, Retinol, Polysorbate 20, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dextrin, Ascorbic Acid, Hydrolyzed Hibiscus Esculentus Extract , Sodium Citrate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, BHT, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Bisabolol, Ubiquinone, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Crithmum Maritimum Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-15, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Capsicum Frutescens Fruit Extract, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Propyl Gallate, Menthol, Beta-Carotene (CI 40800).